Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Just Try It and You Might Like It!

I finally broke down and decided to start using my Cricut Imagine.  While I initially didn't find it to be very user-friendly when I got it last October, I decided it was time to find a way to make it work for me.  So, I found a cartridge I really loved (Enjoy The Seasons) and started plucking away. 

I decided that I was going to create a calendar since I really liked the images and thought they would be fun for a calendar.  Here are a few of the months I've done:






Admittedly, I do love some of the layouts.  I found them to be perfect for my calendar, and for the most part, relatively easy to create.  I still say that the Imagine has a way to go before it is perfected, though.  I don't have any issues with the quality of the print, but it is not very user-friendly for many reasons;  sizing an object is nearly impossible and takes forever.  I found the best way to size something is to just use the "Fit To Page" feature.  Otherwise, you could rip your hair out trying to get something sized and then making sure all the layers are the appropriate size.  Also, the mats leave something to be desired.  Since I am used to working with heavyweight cardstock, I found it nearly impossible to get a good print and cut.  When I switched to the lightweight cardstock with no texture then everything started running smoothly.  I guess the advantage there is that you can use really cheap paper!   Lastly, although you can upload your cartridges to your Gypsy, you still need them in the machine to be able to cut and print.

So, what did I love about it you ask?  Several things, actually.  After I got the whole "fit to page" feature down I was able to create a layout in minutes (literally).  I also like the fact that every object has several layers and you can pick and choose which layers you want to print out.  It also has several standard shapes that you can fill in with any color or background image you want.  You can see that I used this feature in everyone of the layouts except February.  Also, I was always told that you couldn't print a true 12 x 12, but lo and behold I was able to do it, and I loved it.  They do, however, warn you that your pad will get residual ink on it, but I found that easy enough to clean up with an alcohol swab.  Lastly, my absolute favorite part of this machine so far is that you can use any of the original Cricut cartridge fonts (or shapes) and fill them with the patterns of the cartridge you're working with.  For example...on the February layout, I used the original Cricut cartridge All Mixed Up but I was able to color it using the palette on the Enjoy The Seasons cartridge.  Had I wanted to actually make those letters contain a pattern, I could have done that as well. 

All in all I can honestly say I'm looking forward to doing more exploration with this machine.  I don't know that it will ever replace my Cricut Expression, but I've certainly found where it can be useful!


No comments:

Post a Comment